Since my last post the weather has been a lot kinder to us, the rain has been a welcome relief, not too heavy!, not too light! It certainly makes sleeping through the night more comfortable.
A busy week with work and other chores has kept me away from the sewing room for a few days and I was starting to get a few withdrawals, I was itching to get stitching so early this morning I ventured downstairs and got started.
I also received a couple of small parcels in the post this week which is always nice and guaranteed to brighten up my day. In my last post I made a couple of needle/sewing keeps which required sewing a piece of felt on the inside to hold needles, pins etc. There is limited variety available locally and I had to contend with a wool/synthetic mix felt, which I wasn't overly happy with.
I did a search of my favourite quilting store's website in Brisbane - The Quilters and Embroiderers' Store - http://www.quiltersstore.com.au/ I noticed they had some beautiful hand-dyed 100% wool felt. So I ordered a Fun Felt Pack which contains offcuts of different sizes and colours from the Colour Streams range.
The colours are just so muted and beautiful and go so well with the reproduction fabrics that I love to use. The texture of the product too is so soft!!! I loved the colours in this pack too as the colours you get can be a bit of a gamble! I was pretty lucky!
So today I decided to make a couple of smaller items featured in Kathy Tracy's latest book 'Civil War Sewing Circle'.
I made the first one early this morning.
I had some of this gorgeous blue fabric left over from the last needle keep I made.
This evening I made another and hand stitched the felt into place instead of using the machine!
I had a scrumage around in my vintage button box sewed them on to complete them and viola! all done!
The second little parcel I received was an order for some Point Protectors. I saw these on someone elses blog recently and I was quite impressed with them. They are actually to protect the tips of knitting needles but they do make great scissors tip protectors too.
They are made by Clover and come in two sizes, so I got both as I now have a small collection of scissors - I need another collection of anything like a hole in the head! but I figure you only live once......I mean, what's a girl to do?!!!! - do without?
Apart from receiving scissors as gifts, I have collected scissors from various places, including from a vendor at the Brisbane Quilt Show last October,
also from Silent Stitches - http://www.silentstitches.com/scissors.htm
and Country Stitches - http://www.countrystitchesonline.com/index.php - they have some lovely items including some gorgeous jewelry and other trinkets/charms - put on the kettle and sit a while, it's a great place to drool!!!
Enjoy the rest of your week and don't be shy about leaving me a comment, I love to hear from you!!!
Take care,
Merilyn








7 comments:
Love those point protectors! I'm going to have to get some of those! :0)
Your letter/needle keeps are lovely. I would love to make the little pincushion with the lace on the edge! The two would make a perfect pair.
Have a great weekend.
You're on the needle keep roll Merilyn! Keep on rolling!
Your scissors are gorgeous!
Your projects are lovely as always made with thought and care. I love seeing all the little bits and pieces that we can buy to enhance our sewing kits and make us better sewers. Ha! If only it was that easy. Still love your blog header photo, sometimes I pop over just to have another look.
Lovely needle keeps and a great idea for the point protectors. I thought the pillow pincushion from the Civil War Sewing Circle was also sweet.
I ordered Kathleen's book and I love the projects you decided to make.
Micki
Those little pouches are darling! I wish I was talented in the something-other-than-quilts category so I could make one too! I'm sure I could make my way through it, but it may not look as nice as yours!
Post a Comment